Sunday, July 9, 2023

Willow Update

I was vacation last week. Thankfully, they vet's office was able to squeeze Willow in for a look over on Thursday. Upon further investigation, the vet thinks Willow may have collitis. Three different pills are needed for the next while: an antibiotic, a probiotic and "kitty immodium". I am not as patient as I wish. Giving Willow 3 pills is a challenge. I bought some pill pockets which Willow does not seem interested in. I used to give Lucy a pill every day for her asthma. I've either lost my touch or Willow is not as accomadating as Lucy. Please send positive thoughts and any gentle advice. I checked out several YouTube videos for advice and techniques. So far, most of them seem to indicate that I need two more hands. The past week was a typical staycation. I slept in a bit later. I tackled housework that I don't normally have time to do during a work week. My sister, Mom and some friends came for a visit. The swealtering weather, and the sometimes poor air quality, meant I only made it to the park for one visit. However, that walk was amazing!
Raindrops sparkled on the grass!
It sparkled on the flowers ♥
Bird song filled the air. I have an app on my cell phone that helps you to identify what birds are singing. I heard: woodpeckers, Coopers Hawk, a starling, a gold finch, a Cardinal, a Blue Jay and a Red-Winged Black Bird. Miss Emily istaking a wee snooze close by me. I lover her sweet and spunky nature. When I have company, she often walks over to our guests to give them a welcoming head bop.
I hope everyone has a good week! I'll close with this funny from Pinterest.

19 comments:

  1. We send purrayers and POTP to Miss Willow and good vibes to Miss Emily (and you) . We have no advice on gi
    ving meds - over the years we have had varying success : right now our blind kitty accepts the necessary eye drops and we are thankful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a break, with family to visit and the walk through the park.

    Would Willow be more open to taking the meds if they were compounded and syringed in? I had success with that with Nicki for Prednisolone, because it's not bitter and he loved the chicken flavour they used. I did NOT have success with meds that were inherently bitter, because the flavoured compound could not disguise the bitter taste. If you think syringing would be easier, though, it's worth asking about.

    Good luck, I'm keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers. 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the Youtube videos I watched mentioned compounding. It is something to investigate. Thanks, Kea.

      Delete
  3. Purrs and prayers to sweet Willow from all of us. Our gang is all good at taking pills, fortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my Emmy needed many pills. I would crush them and mix them with a bit of gravy from canned food then syringe it into her mouth. I am praying for your sweet girl. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pilch92. Thank you! I will see if my vet has a spare syringe. Thanks for the visit and the prayers. Willow is acting like herself-a little furry hooligan! Hopefully, the meds kick in soon.

      Delete
  5. I'm crap at giving cats pills, which is why we mash up Sweetie's blood pressure meds and mix it with tube treats so she licks it up daily.
    Every other time pilling Sweetie has ended in failure, but maybe there is someone you can ask to give you a hand: one holds Willow while the other does the dirty work?
    Wishing you luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eastside cats-Glad to hear that Sweetie eats her meds in the tube treats :) Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  6. Maybe you can have the meds compounded? It might be easier dministering them if they are in fluid form. Sending lots of purrs and prayers for Willow -- and you! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were going to suggest syringing too. I do hope you find a good solution for your sweetie!
    Purrs Julie and the mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for the visit :) I will look into syringing a bit more. Take care.

      Delete
  8. I have to give Lizzie two pills a day. This is the method that works for me. If they are a pill that can be crushed, I crush it with the back of a spoon.) If they are very hard and difficult to crush with a spoon, first grind it up a bit in a pill splitter to break it into smaller piece that are easier to crush. Then I mix it with a half tube of a treat called Churu by Inaba. I can get it at the pet food store but often order thru Amazon. Stir it in well. If you can't get it, sometimes baby food works well. One of her pills -- easy that way. The other, she just doesn't like the pill so holding her, I put a finger full of the mixture into her mouth (I hold her and open her mouth with one hand). She generally licks at it but it goes down and we do it again two or three more times till it is down. Today she took that pill on her own steam so maybe she is just getting used to it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanie, Thank you for the visit. Your method is close to my own current method. Willow ignored the pill pockets I bought-that is an expensive test. I currently crush her pill and mix it in a puree. A couple of times Willow ate it on her own steam. I currently have to smear the mixture on her paw and chin and she then licks it off. I have since purchased some of the chicken flavoured Churu that you use with your Lizzie. I give Willow a kitty treat when the process is through for another day. Thanks again.

      Delete
  9. We hope you found a successful way to give Willow her meds and that she is on the mend. Sending purrs and purrayers and POTP.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hoping Willow is doing much better now! I am blessed that Cody was great about pills, Bobo wasn't...I used to wrap him in a towel and then open his mouth (I would wrap him like a baby). You probably have it all figured out by now!

    ReplyDelete