Sunday, July 1, 2018

Chilling during the Heat Wave

 Hi!  Happy Canada Day to our Canadian friends!   It's Emily.  Goodness, but it is hot!  I'm too tuckered out to do anything but just veg on the back of the sofa.  We are having a heat wave.  It is just in time for Mom's staycation.
 Mom is enjoying the free time to enjoy life's tiny joys.   She found a book of one of her favorite comics.  Then she put together a tiny treat bowl of grapes, crackers, and cheddar.  Mom has also discovered she loves Kombucha-it's fermented tea.  However, Mom says it is just like fizzy iced tea!
(Our Mom does love to whoop it up!)
 She also went onto YouTube and created a playlist of some of the cartoons and programs she watched as a kid!   She couldn't believe it when she found this.  Does anyone else out there remember the show "Land of the Lost"?

 This t-rex was always running after the main characters.  Mom said after watching Jurassic Park this Saturday morning cartoon made her laugh.  She did watch the entire program, though.   Also included in her playlist: The Smurfs, She-Ra, Garfield, and Alvin and the Chipmunks!
(I hope this screen shot of the grumpy T-rex is not too scary!  Mom said it gave her bad dreams when she was little. It didn't stop her from watching it, though.!)
 Mom liked this infographic from Pinterest of  "Canadian" words!
I'm going to pass things along to Winston now.
 Hello!  Emily is right.  It is very warm!  Phew.  Emily and I think we should conserve our energy and make sure we get lots of extra naps.
Mom had company today.  They went to an Antique store.  Mom said it was lovely there.  She was very good and didn't purchase anything.  Here are some photos of the things Mom liked for one reason or another.
 Blue Willow plates.   Apparently, her Mom had a set when she was in elementary school. 
 Her family also had a glass chicken butter dish like this one.  It was $28.00!   Wowzers!  Emily and I could get lots of treats with that kind of money.
 This is a record cover of a singer called Tom Jones.  Apparently, Mom's grandma had a huge crush on this guy.   It made our Mom smile to know this about her "Nana".  There were so many records in this store!
 Mom liked these salt and pepper shakers because she thought they were felines!
After all of that browsing, they worked up an appetite.  They went to a restaurant called  Cultures.  Mom ordered something called a Zen bowl.  Yummy-grilled chicken, lima beans, mango, tomato, carrots, and rice.  Mom has enough left over for 2 more meals!  Hooray.  It's too toasty to cook anything!


We hope our Canadian readers have a nice Canada Day and are staying cool!  We don't like fireworks so we will be hiding later this evening.  Purrs to all for a great week!

15 comments:

  1. Happy Canada Day to you all!

    Your mom is starting off her staycation in the great way, and we hope that all her days off are fun.

    When our biped was quite young, her favourite cartoon was Spiderman. The original one. 🙂

    As an adult, the best animated series she ever saw was the first two seasons of "Gargoyles", done in the '90s. The third season wasn't good, different people behind the scenes. The other fun one was "The Tick."

    Anyway, enough of that! You guys stay as cool as possible and keep well-hydrated.

    Purrs and peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by! I hope your Canada Day weekend is relaxing and cool!
      I had forgotten about Spiderman :) I am not familiar at all with Gargoyles and the Tick. I'll be paying another visit to YouTube.
      Ear scritches to Nikc and Derry.

      Delete
  2. Happy Canada Day! Somebody was shooting off the fireworks last night. Maybe they didn't look at the calendar!

    Stay cool and safe efurrybody!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always somebody who is eager to get started with the fireworks! I could hear the fireworks and see the glow of it on the side of the building. They always try to finish with a cluster of fireworks. Miss Emily darted away from the window and huddled in the hallway. Poor girl.
      Hope you have a lovely Canada Day.

      Delete
  3. Aww, we loved this post! Happy Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Canada Day! Looks like you guys are tuckered out from all of the festivities! Hope you have a great rest of your week and try to keep cool from this heat. Thanks for the share!
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Emily and I are very careful to ensure adequate energy levels. We need to have excess energy for the 4 am zoomies.
      Purrs,
      Winston and Emily

      Delete
  5. We've got the hots too, so the weekend was spent inside near the window a/c unit! Love the salt and pepper shakers; they certainly look like kitties! Happy Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eastside Cats! Except for the stupid fireworks, we very much enjoyed Canada Day. Stay nice and cool.
      Purrs,
      Emily and Winston

      Delete
  6. You both look great. I loved that show as a kid, those sleezstak creatures scared me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! I only watched the first episode on youtube. I went back to see what a sleezstak creature is =) Good thing I'm on vacation right now! I had forgotten about them.
      Thanks so much for dropping by!

      Delete
  7. Happy Belated Canada Day!! What a pawesome post! We are having the same heat and I just can't stand it. This post brought back some great memories 1) Tom Jones---OMG!! 2) my Mom had that same glass chicken lol 3) I used to LOVE those blue plates! LOVE your snack, I'm coming over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The heat is excessive. Drinking lots of water. Making sure the fuzz buckets get an extra bowl, too.
      I'm eating the same snack for my supper. It's too warm to heat up a stove. Ear scritches to Cody!

      Delete
  8. You poor thing. I heat wave with all that floof must be miserable.
    I remember Land of the Lost. The only Tom Jones song I can think of is What's New Pussycat. The salt & pepper shakers are cute. I guess they could be kitties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for popping by to visit =) Mom had my (Emily) tummy fur clipped-I sometimes get dreadful matts on my belly. Thankfully, I look like a tough feline and my tummy is cooler. Winston and I make sure not to rough house too much as we need to conserve our energy. We hope you have a great day!
      Purrs,
      Emily AND Winston

      Delete